Thursday, October 10, 2013

Luscious Ladies In Pink 2013




















Last Friday, October 4th, I had the great privilege and honor to be the keynote speaker at the 5th Annual Luscious Ladies in Pink event in Penang.  This event helps raise money and awareness for breast cancer in Penang.  Before we moved to Malaysia, I had a dream that I would share my story at this event and it was a great pleasure to have my dream come true.  I shared my personal story with a room full of 275+ people in the hopes that I would help save someone's life from breast cancer.  I can say, without much doubt, that this is one of the proudest moments of my life.  I know that I bravely shared my mom's fight with cancer and my smart decision to preventatively take action against breast cancer. Honestly, I have been overwhelmed by the response from the community, locally and by those who have shared my story globally and I feel as though all of the past hardships have been validated by my message of hope, resilience and choice.  If you weren't able to see my talk in person, here is the video.  Please share it with your friends and family.

In celebration and remembrance of my mom, Linda Sue Bell
In celebration of my sister, Jamie Boiles who is BRCA1 negative!
And in Hope for my daughter, Adalyn, that we will find a cure for breast cancer.
I received a heartfelt standing ovation from the room.  I know my story touched so many, making it all worth it!
The love of my life, Eric, who has supported me through this journey

And a few of my friends who lovingly supported, encouraged, listened and gave at this fabulous morning to help women and families in Penang who are dealing with breast cancer.
I will leave you with my closing message from the event:
If you haven't had a mammogram in a while, schedule one.
If you are wondering if you have a family history of breast cancer, talk to someone in your family.
If you have a family history of breast cancer, talk to your doctor to see if genetic testing is right for you. 
If you haven't done your breast self exam this month, do it today!
And, if you can, donate to your local breast cancer fund. 

Remember, you can save your life or the life of someone else. Breast Cancer doesn't have to be a death sentence.

with love and gratidude,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment