Monday, September 5, 2011

Market Days

We are back from a restful and fun 10 day trip to Phuket, Thailand. I will write a post about all we did and share some pictures soon!

This morning after Eric went to work my sole task was heading to the market to buy some fresh food. I love that we are a 5 minute walk to a great fresh market that has almost everything that my heart desires. This morning I stocked up on pineapple, mangos, limes, apples, lettuce, basil, tomatoes, eggs, shrimp, garlic, beets, shallots and onions. I also splurged on fresh orchids. I scored all of this beautiful food for less than $14.



While we were in Thailand I learned a new technique for cutting pineapple that I was eager to try. I  will just say it didn't go so well and about a million ants ran out of the delicious fruit when I cut in to it. Back to the market for round two and another pineapple, this time I bought one already cut.  I also stopped by a few organic shops and scored Organic tahini, wheat flour, pastry flour, brown sugar and cranberries.


Of course after my second run to the market I was hungry and not in the mood to cook anything.  I stopped for Malaysia's version of fast food, a hawker stand selling Char Kay Teow, take away style-- fried noodles with shrimp and other deliciousness.  I stood on the street and watched my food cook in a large and steaming hot wok.  In less than 2 minutes, my dish was complete and warped in a banana leafed - newspapered, to-go container, complete with chop sticks.

A short walk back home and my 3.5RM ($1.17) lunch was on the plate and in my mouth!  Living here has it benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment