Tuesday, July 26, 2011

La Bamba

We have been here for 10 days!! More and more it is feeling like home.  All of our suitcases are unpacked, we have visited the markets, grocery stores, have cell phones, water, internet, a Malaysian bank account and a car!!  Woohoo!


The roller coaster of emotions is slowing down and I'm slowly figuring out life here.  The newness is still plentiful but not so overwhelming. 

Eric's first day of work was yesterday.  I'm so thankful that we had a week to get situated before he had to go back to work.  Since Eric is here on a work Visa, it is necessary for him to be at almost everything.  I needed him to set up a bank account, to buy cell phones, etc.  My "dependent" Visa will not cut it in terms of getting things done, and we all know how much I like to check things off my list...sigh..life as a woman is different here. 

Before we left the states, I was asked countless times what I am going to do here.  My general response has been, "I'm going to Be Fabulous!" I know I need to rest and actually finish healing from my last surgery, but sitting at the pool and reading has a time and a place.  For me, that can only last an hour or so a day.  So, I have already begun volunteering at a local NGO (read: Nonprofit) called the Women's Centre for Change, Penang's Women's advocacy and domestic violence center.  It's nice to know I have a purpose here.  Yesterday, I learned that my "official" role will be editor, translator and steam-liner of all things written in English.  :) I even received a call this evening asking me to edit something by tomorrow afternoon.  Trust me, I'm all over it! 

I will probably find 1-2 more agencies to volunteer with in the next few weeks.  I will start off slowly and then see what I need.  For now, I'm focusing the rest of my time on swimming, yoga, shopping, cooking, socializing and travel planning.  Doesn't that sound rough??

Today, I wandered over to Cold Storage, the import grocery store in the basement of the mall.  I needed a few things, like milk, yogurt and wine.  While cruising the aisle a very familiar voice started singing throughout the store, it was Ritchie Valens serenading me with my old childhood favorite, La Bamba .   La Bamba!?!? In Malaysia..ok, this Mexi is home now :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your guys are settling in. Enjoy the life. :D

    ReplyDelete