Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gray Hair and Wrinkles

38 days from today we are leaving Austin, Texas...

Last night Eric and I were laying in bed talking about how we are going to handle the mail.  I was concerned about receiving mail in Malaysia that may have any account information or information about our identities that could be stolen.  I guess I've heard some horror stories about mail being opened or not delivered.  Eric, as always, was trying to assure me that our identities would not be stolen by a Malaysian and that everything would be fine and I should stop worrying...that's when his faced went from "don't worry honey" to super concerned and worried.  He then spoke words he has never said to me, ever, in one of his most serious voices he has. He said, "You have wrinkles!?!"  Shocked and appalled that my loving husband pointed them out and, in fact, actually noticed them, I could only cover my face with my pillow and laugh until I cried.  Seriously, I have wrinkles.  Yes, at 29 I have wrinkles -- crow feet, really -- around my eyes. 

Of course, Eric realized he had dug himself a hole and tried to climb out of it by telling me that "I need to moisturize and maybe they will go away." And the final insult to injury, "You need to take better care of your face." 

Great, I'll add it to the mile long list of things I need to do in the next 38 days....Moisturize two times per day.  I'm on it. 

I told Eric I was going to write about this on our blog.  I've thought about it all day.  Talked to Misty about it and laughed.  Yes, I have wrinkles.  Maybe I have wrinkles because I work outside and don't wear enough SPF (although I religiously wear SPF 70).  Maybe the stress of moving to Malaysia has bestowed this honor.  Maybe having a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and a revision surgery over the last 3 months has done it.  I'm not sure and I really don't care.

I have wrinkles and Eric has gray hair!  Who cares.  We have each other. 

I realized today that it's really easy to get caught up in the details, the gray hair and wrinkles.  Right now it feels like my life is dictated by details...home insurance, doctors appointments, work, transitions, packing, boxes, storage, parties, visitors, shipments, travel, family, the horse, the dog, the list goes on and on.  I found myself worried so much about the details today that I forget the bigger picture. 

We have an amazing life.  We are 38 days away from the adventure of a lifetime that I can't wait to start.  Somehow, someway all of these details are going to work out or fall away.  What matters is that I don't get consumed by all of the details and forget that I am one lucky lady that happens to have a few wrinkles! 

3 comments:

  1. Well said Jenn! I would choose to look at the wrinkles as laugh lines. Enjoy every moment of your amazing adventure. None of us know what we have in store for us... I certainly wasn't intending on having a second child at 34, but I'm going to enjoy every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the wrinkle post to Chris, to which he replied, "You have the cutest wrinkles. If you weren't mad so much they'd be less noticeable."

    ReplyDelete